Thursday 20 March 2008

It's Your Thing by Senor Soul

I knew nothing about Senor Soul when I picked this single up the other day. It's a latin-flavoured take on the Isley Brothers' proto-funk track 'It's Your Thing', with some crisp drumming and funky Hammmond propelling things along. Research reveals that Senor Soul were none other than the precursor to WAR, the funk-rock outfit soon to jam and record with the Animals' Eric Burdon.

It seems there is an Ace Records comp out there which brings together the cream of their two LP's and few singles, including such curios as covers of 'Sunshine Superman', 'Psychotic Reaction' and 'Pata Pata'. I picked up two more of their singles when I got 'Your Thing': a cover of Lee Dorsey's 'Working in a Coalmine' and the self-penned (I think) 'Don't Lay Your Funky Trip On Me'. All good stuff. The sample below is of an extract from the A and B sides, but I'll post the whole A side when I get time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul

hope you had a good easter. My mate Dean played this record on Thursday night at Get Involved! The night was total carnage. Looking forward to the next one. Just two guest DJs next time - of which you're one. happy days. G